What to Expect When Building Your New Home
Ever wondered what’s involved in building a house?
Here’s what to Expect When Building Your New Home.
Unless you're on a building site every day, you don't often get the chance to see a home being built OR know the steps involved. Connolly Homes understands how exciting it is to build a new home! In an effort to make the process easier, we have put together this step-by-step guide to help you understand the different building phases and how it all comes together.
To break it down there is two main stages of building a home:
- 1.The Pre-construction:plans/ permits/selections/contracts and preparing the site and
- 2.The Construction:where your dream home becomes a reality and the building commences on site.
1. Pre- Construction
At the stage you might not see much activity on your home site. But don’t worry! A lot of behind-the-scenes stuff is happening.This is the planning and designing phase of construction where you will design your home with our draftsman once a house plan and design is settled, the planning phase commences with final pricing and building contract signed. The Planning phase is when we organise engineering, site surveys, insurances, Electrical and Water Approval and submit plans for Shire approval. It might be several weeks before any major activity begins on your home site, but rest assured that all of the background work is being done to create a smooth process!
The key activities that occur during the base stage are:
- excavation and preparation of the site for concrete pour site clean
- application of termite protection
- electrical meter box installation
- pouring the slab
- cleaning of slab and site clean.
Frame and Roof stage
The key activities that occur during the frame stage are:
- erecting your wall frame and roof trusses exciting step see home taking shape
- cleaning of site and removal of all debris
- Roof Trusses erected
- Roof sheeted with Colorbond tin
Home exterior (lock-up) stage
The key activities that occur during the lock-up stage are:
- installation of the fascia and gutter
- installation of all windows
- completion of external cladding- walls
- fitting of external doors
Home interior (fixing)
The key activities that occur during the fixing stage are:
- internal cladding (plaster is hung)
- architraves and skirting
- baths, basins, troughs and sinks
- internal doors, cabinets, shelves and cupboards
Finishing touches (completion)
The key activities that occur during the completion stage are:
- completion of remaining items and preparation of your home for handover
- pre inspection checklist with Connolly Homes and Customer any issues rectified prior to handover
- handover of your NEW home!
How long does it take to build a home?
The most commonly asked question we receive is ‘How long will it take to build my house?’
On an average in the last 12 months Connolly Homes Building time is as little as 15 weeks from the Construction stage!!
Though a number of factors may affect to build time frame which include matters such as:
- the home design you choose
- finance approvals
- the extent of changes you request
- any relevant council planning regulations
- if land subdivision is needed
- obtaining building and planning permits
- resolving any site problems
- how busy the building industry is (e.g. the time of year, the availability of tradespeople and the supply of building materials)
- any issues specific to your contract
Call Connolly Homes now to begin Building Your Dream Home!